Sunday 26 February 2012

24 hours

      People often ask me what I'd do if I found out I only had 24 hours left to live. Actually, that's a lie. No one has ever asked me that. But people ask each other that so it's believable that someone might have asked me at some point, so I felt it would be a nice opening, but it kind of fell apart.
      But yeah, 24 hours to live. I guess the first question is what time is it when you find out? Because if you got up at 5am and you find out at 11pm, you're going to want some sleep so you're not all grouchy on your last day. You've then got to decide the exact amount of time you feel is appropriate. Do you enjoy you last ever lie-in, or do you have a nap and stay up on coffee? You should probably plan this now, just in case it comes up. You've also got to decide on a last meal and a whole host of other technicalities, but let's ignore them for the moment. What people really want to know is what you'd actually do with your time and I honestly have no idea. So let's look at this another way: what would you do if you discovered that you had a week left to live? A month? A year? 10 years? At what point do you change your behaviour? Because if it's just a limit that's motivating you I can tell you right now you'll almost certainly be dead in 100 years, so why not live like you're going to die? I think maybe we'd all live a little more if there was a legal maximum age and then you get killed. Maybe 100 and that's it. That would at least remove some of the uncertainty, maybe we'd all be a little more motivated. But the fact is we all know we're going to die, we're just too cowardly too act like we know it. Which is good for the reclining chair industry, as if we all lived like there was no tomorrow they'd be out of business straight away.

No comments: