Sunday 6 May 2012

Clouds

      I like clouds. They're pretty, they're fluffy, they have some interesting mathematical shapes. But that's not why I like clouds. I like clouds because while most people think "looks like it might rain in a bit" I'm standing there thinking "Oh my God! There're billions of tonnes of water just floating above our heads and no one cares! Water is going to fall on us from the sky, and we're all just acting like that makes sense! Why isn't anyone else freaking out?" As you can imagine, I'm a strange person to be stuck in a plane with.
      So it's not so much that I like clouds, more that I'm still fascinated by the world with a childlike curiosity. Well, that's the romantic twist I like to put on it, a psychologist might opt for neurotic with regressive tendencies. I have a habit of internally freaking  out when I remember that a tube T.V. is just a particle accelerator, beaming photons at me, or that touch is merely electrostatic fields repelling each other. The fact that virtually every system is a vastly complicated web of interactions between hugely simple elements obeying complex rules keeps me up at night. Or it might be the caffeine. But yeah, fascination, interest and curiosity are three of the most important traits for an engaging life. Either that or tall, dark and handsome, but you can't have everything.

No comments: